The hike up Chapmans Peak is fairly short but there are wonderful views over Hout Bay, so it’s a very rewarding easy walk.
The car park for the Chapmans Peak Hike is a layby at the edge of Chapmans Peak Drive, about 40 minutes from central Cape Town. It is not that big and can fill up early on weekends. There are some other parking places a bit further away on Chapmans Peak Drive. If you do park elsewhere, be careful walking along the road. If you don’t have a car, check out the options for car hire* from Cape Town.
Chapmans Peak Hiking Trail Map
Get the route by downloading the .gpx or .kml file below. For navigation with Maps.me on your mobile phone, simply download the .kml file and open to add it to the Maps.me bookmarks.
Tips for Chapmans Peak Hike
- From the Cape Town / Hout Bay side, you can get a free ‘Day Pass’ to drive along Chapmans Peak Drive up to the car park.
- After your hike, if you want to continue further along the most spectacular part of Chapmans Peak Drive through to Noordhoek, you will need to pay a toll of R54.
- To do the hike without paying the fee, you can get a free Day Pass. This means you can’t continue all the way along the Drive, but must return back out the same way.
- If you pay the fee, the road is normally open 24/7. If you opt for the free Day Pass, hours are Oct-Mar 06hr-20hr, Apr-Sep 07hr-18hr30.
- Chapmans Peak Drive is closed in bad weather conditions (too windy, rainy). Probably a bad time to hike anyway.
- Sunhat, sunscreen and water are needed in sunny weather
- We did this hike on a trip around Table Mountain, hiking around the Silvermine Dam Amphitheatre after this hike.
A large, green sign at the back of the car park marks the start of the Chapmans Peak Trail. First, it’s a steep ascent to a saddle, where you’ll find a junction. Taking the lefthand pass would lead you up to Noordhoek Peak (which we visited later in the day from the opposite side during our Silvermine Dam Amphitheatre Hike). To climb up Chapmans Peak, head right at this junction.
The path bends heads up and then around the side of Lower Chapmans Peak. Once you round this lower peak, the path continues to the top of Chapmans Peak itself. From the top are great views over Hout Bay, Noordhoek Beach and much more. To return to the car park, retrace your steps and continue following the same route back down.