A short hike up Chapmans Peak for wonderful views over Hout Bay.
The car park for the Chapmans Peak Hike is a layby at the edge of Chapmans Peak Drive, about 40 minutes from central Cape Town. It is not that big and can fill up early on weekends. There are some other parking places a bit further away on Chapmans Peak Drive. If you do park elsewhere, be careful walking along the road. If you don’t have a car, check out the options for car hire* from Cape Town.
Tips for Chapmans Peak Hike
- From the Cape Town / Hout Bay side, you can get a free ‘Day Pass’ to drive along Chapmans Peak Drive up to the car park.
- After your hike, if you want to continue further along the most spectacular part of Chapmans Peak Drive through to Noordhoek, you will need to pay a toll of R54.
- Road normally open 24/7 apart from if you get a free Day Pass, hours are Oct-Mar 06hr-20hr, Apr-Sep 07hr-18hr30.
- Chapmans Peak Drive is closed in bad weather conditions (too windy, rainy). Probably a bad time to hike anyway.
- Sunhat, sunscreen and water are needed in sunny weather
- We did this hike on a trip around Table Mountain, hiking around the Silvermine Dam Amphitheatre after this hike.
A large, green sign at the back of the car park marks the start of the Chapmans Peak Trail. First, it’s a steep ascent to a saddle, where you’ll find a junction. Taking the lefthand pass would lead you up to Noordhoek Peak (which we visited later in the day from the opposite side during our Silvermine Dam Amphitheatre Hike). To climb up Chapmans Peak, head right at this junction.
The path bends heads up and then around the side of Lower Chapmans Peak. Once you round this lower peak, the path continues to the top of Chapmans Peak itself. From the top are great views over Hout Bay, Noordhoek Beach and much more. To return to the car park, retrace your steps and continue following the same route back down.